Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving



There is something special about Thanksgiving. Something completely nostalgic and romantic about spending an entire day cooking one meal-to share with those you hold most dear, and then pausing, collectively as a nation, to remember the many blessings we each have.

I’m not much of a blogger these days, but I can’t let something as wonderful as Thanksgiving pass by without a little post on the beauty of this tradition. This year, for the second time in my life, I am not spending Thanksgiving with my family. Because of that I'd like to use this post to let my family know how very thankful I am for each of them. 

I’m thankful for my mother-for her brave attitude, her unconditional love felt by so many but especially by those fortunate enough to call her “mom”, and for not only being a wonderful mother but for also being an incredible friend to me as I’ve grown.

I’m thankful for my father-for his sweetness, kindness and love for me and the other girls in his life, for how hard he has worked for so many years to provide for his family, for his patience with us, and for the stunning example he is to me of being a true believer and follower of Christ.

I’m thankful for my sister-the one at home-for being an excellent example to me of what sisterhood means, for always watching out for the underdog, and for loving everyone she comes in contact with. Her kindness is unparalleled, and I marvel at it daily.


I’m thankful for my other sister-the one in Indiana-for the ability she has to always make me feel better when things are rough, for the light she gets in her eyes right before she gets to the punch line of an excellent joke, and mostly for her beautiful desire to always do what is right. She also is an incredible example.

Mostly though, I'm thankful for the knowledge I have that no matter where we spend Thanksgiving, where we live, or where this life takes us each-we can be an eternal family. One that can be together, forever. I feel so very thankful for this knowledge, and for the many blessings that are mine. Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

robyne said...

I sure miss and love you! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!
xoxoxo
Mudder

Shane said...

Thanks for this great post! I sure have missed you today but so happy you were having a great time in Oregon. I love you and am so very proud of you.