Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Exactly one year ago..

I had an unexpected phone call during dinner

I couldn't hear what my Pops was telling me

Once I understood I wish I didn't hear it

I was angry, I felt like he gave up

Once I was permitted to come down, he explained it

And I felt peaceful

And I defended his decision

And I held his hand

And we cried

And he told me he loves me so much

And a year later, I still know that as strongly as if he was holding my hand telling me that again

And I still feel that peace that the decision was right

And although it was a hard day, exactly a year ago, it was the day that I realized that the hardest things are usually the right ones

And that he loves me, even if he had to go.

I love you Pops.

1 comment:

Shane said...

Wow, so many things have changed in that one-year. That was a tough day and one I shall never forget. He fought such a good fight his entire life, even after he made this decision!

I know we all miss him but I also remember that feeling of peace once he made his decision.

One thing I know for certain is the love he had for you, your sisters and Mom! You all brought such joy and happiness to his life...we were so blessed to have him so close all of thost years.

Thanks for remembering and sharing that day!