Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Autumn is Here

How do you decide it's officially Autumn? Is it when school starts? Or perhaps when you have to grab a cardigan as you leave in the morning?

For me there is not a simple start date, it instead is a feeling that creeps up slowly. It's the culmination of the back to school excitement, of lights shining bright over the 100 yard field, it's the slow creeping of color that makes its way down the mountain inching ever closer to the Y, and ever closer to my very own street. Autumn is the desire to hunker down with a good book and a good drink and get cozy. It is the desire to wear all the sweaters, boots and scarfs I can find. It's an actual need for things pumpkin spice or apple caramel. It's this yearning I have to receive a "bouquet of newly sharpened pencils" and to flip through Time's filled with political excitement. It's the beautiful contrast of grey skies and colored leaves. It's quiet, productive afternoons that fade into cool, exciting evenings.

Now, I know all of those things haven't quite happened yet but like I said-it's a feeling, and right now it is all that I'm feeling. So for me at least autumn is here. I was born for autumn. It brings out the most me parts of myself, it is where I am most comfortable.

So I think I'll embrace it now (some may say a little early) and hold on to it until the December snow brings a change in the air.

Yes. That sounds like a lovely plan.




"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall" 
 -F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby


1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love EVERYTHING about this post. My soul sister- I know exactly what you mean when you say you were born for fall.