Sunday, July 28, 2013

I heart NY



Basically it was too perfect to not happen.

Jet Blue has no direct flights from Boston to Salt Lake, they all go through New York City. And I'm the kind of girl that hates the idea of just "going through" New York City. There is something tragic about being there, but not getting to experience it. New York is to be enjoyed. It is a destination, not just a layover. So it was only logical that I simply must spend some time there.

Even stronger than my belief that New York is grander than a layover though is my belief that dear friends should see each other as much as possible.

And the Holt sisters are some of my dearest friends.

Therefore-it only made sense that instead of heading home after Boston, I simply must spend a few days in the Big Apple, with my dearest Brooke and Ash. It was perfect.

Luckily for me, they agree about both of my above points and were happy to open up their hearts, apartment, air mattresses, and schedules for me.

Three days may not sound very long, and trust me it is not-especially for New York. But wow we got to do a lot there! Since I had been to New York City before I didn't feel pressured to do all the touristy stuff and instead I got to explore more of the hidden gems of the city and see there favorite parts, which is really the way I love to travel.


We waited hours for discount tickets to Once, and then enjoyed this beautiful piece of theater in our coordinated J Crew pencil skirts. 


We went to church in one of our most stunning church buildings I've ever seen. We enjoyed delicious dinner with their family, and cute niece. We took in the sights from the Staten Island Ferry.




We stayed up late, and talked all night. We went to the 9/11 Memorial. We got pedicures. We shopped canal street where we got-you guessed it coordinating purses. We explored the C. Wonder shop that is such a big part of Brooke's life.









We ate at delicious meals. We walked the Highline. We enjoyed Central Park. We sampled the best of New York's bagels. We brunched. 







The best part though-that "we" did all these things.

Seriously, the very best thing about this trip was getting to spend quality time with Ashley and Brooke. I love each of those girls and I love being their "next door roommate"Both of them, although very different from each other, are such sweet, fun, wonderful friends.

Ashley is one of the most self-less people I've met. She is someone I love being around, not only because she is so much fun, but because she is so caring. She is always so interested in me, my life, and is truly one of those friends who feels for the people she cares about-my happiness is hers as well. Getting to spend so much time with her in New York, catching up on her life, was exactly what I needed and made me so very happy.

Brooke is one of my very kindest friends. She made me feel so welcome with her and Ashley while I stayed there, and was so interested in me and my life. She is so hardworking, and very talented. She is getting to do some really great things there in New York, and I absolutely loved seeing and understanding more the things that she is passionate about. Also she wins the award for the funniest comment for the weekend-her honesty kept me laughing all weekend.

Basically it was a perfect few days with these girls.

Ash and Brooke-I can't thank you enough for having me and for showing me your New York. I can't wait to have you both back in Utah. I miss you already!


Disclaimer: the majority of these pictures were taken by the Holt girls. Also Ash did a much better job blogging about this trip here.

1 comment:

robyne said...

I am so glad you got to go to New York and spend time with the Holts! It looks and sounds like you had a great time!