Thursday, March 11, 2010

Remember When?


I remember a time when everyone I loved was living. Those were the days. They were the same times I would sit and G&G London's and think my cousin was the coolest thing ever, because of his Letterman jacket, and that someday I would be cool too... once I was 16. ha ha

When I turned 16 I was not the coolest by any means. That same year I lost someone I loved for the first time. By the time I was 17 I'd lost 3 more. A year and a half later another. Nine months later, another. And now, seven months later, another.


The young me and G&G London's did not expect this.

Those times of swinging on the back porch, fighting over who gets to stay on the water bed or in the pink room, candy in the fridge, laughing so hard we turned purple and afternoons spent listening to stories and drinking grapefruit juice are far past. I remember them well though, and for that I am grateful.

Things haven't turned out like I'd hoped they would. My kids will not know their great-grandpa's and only one great-grandma. But, they will know their legacy, because that lives on. Those I lost taught others I love, and myself, and the best way to honor and remember them is emulate their good traits. And so, with the loss of another family member I once again vow to honor them by emulating their good traits, and fondly remembering when.

2 comments:

Shane said...

Great post Nicole. I only knew one set of grandparents and then for only less than 20 years. I'm so glad that you got the opportunity to know so many of yours.

I'm also confident that you'll keep the legacy alive. Love ya kid.

Mandy said...

Coley, my children have been so blessed to have known their G&G Londons. Unfortunately they didn't get to know my other ones. I have one grandparent left and she lives too far away to really get to know. You have so many memories that can be shared with your children and you will have little cousins that can help with those memories. What a wonderful post.