Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tor, Stourhead and Bath

On Wednesday we went on one of our fabulous day trips. I was a little worried when we started out because this week, like last weeks trip to Stratford, we were sans-Tony.

Thats right. No Tony.

We were heartbroken. Not that those other coach drivers aren't nice and all, but seriously-we really like Tony. He is endearing.

Despite this minor set back we ended up having a wonderful day. We first went to Glastonbury where we saw the ruins of what was once a beautiful Cathedral, it is also where King Arthur and Guenevere are supposedly buried. We took a group picture, and enjoyed the scenery.
Then we saw London mom and dad (dr. and sister seeley) hugging so we took a picture. After teasing them they began to pose for more pictures, and then even request more pictures. Who do they think they are? ha ha ha
After that we hiked the most monstrous hill I've seen since being in England, to reach the tower at the top-Tor. Now there are all sorts of rumors/ideas about this place, but my favorite is that the English people fervently believe that Joseph of Aramatheia brought the Christ child here. It used to be an island, and the story goes that they sailed out and brought Christ here. Who knows if it's true? I'm not ruling anything out. Either way it was a beautiful place.

Next up was the picturesque garden of Stourhead. Some of you may know this as the scene of Darcy proposing to Elizabeth in the rain. I stood where Kiera Knightly once did. ha ha It was absolutely stunning though. I loved it there.
After that it was on to Bath. (say it with the accent!) We explored the Roman Baths, and even had the water in the Pump Room before making our way up to the Assembly (Upper) Rooms. I felt very much like I was in Persuasion as I took a turn about the room and danced around. It was beautiful. Bath was a very cute little town, and I loved exploring and being there. We had a pastry for dinner, and peeked around the Cathedral before getting back on the coach to head back to London.

Can I just say-the English countryside is more beautiful than anything else I've seen. It is stunning in it's various shades of green, with the fog covering a soft field on which a herd of sheep quietly graze. I know that sounds extreme-but I assure you that it is not.

My time here in London is going so quickly. This week I've also been busy attending class, hitting up the National Gallery, the V&A, the Natural History museum, Keats House, Kenwood (also gorgeous), and a shoe gallery on Oxford. (Shoe gallery wins for surpassing expectations, natural history for being most entertaining, and National Gallery for most inspiring). I only have 60 days left in London. I'm not counting down, I swear my friend is (she is engaged so it's ok). But I've decided to make sure I live up the next 60 days as much as possible.

So, today I'm off to Phantom at Her Royal Majesty's Theater.

And Monday we head out for a week on the North Trip. And it's looking promising that Tony will be with us.

Living it up over here? You bet!

1 comment:

robyne said...

wow the english countryside is so gorgeous! Enjoy every moment!