Saturday, December 18, 2010

Goodbye London

My last few days in London were not what I expected, they were absolutely amazing though. With finals over I was free to finish packing, saying goodbye to my favorite city, and hanging out with some of my most dear friends.
Sister Seeley told us that whenever you travel you should think how the journey has changed you. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and as I've thought about all the things I've learned and grown from I just feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the experiences I had.
I'm grateful for the great girls that became a family to me. I'm grateful that I could live, learn and laugh with each of them.
I'm more grateful for the gospel and for the blessings it brings to my life. I'm so grateful for the miracles I saw while gone, for the way in which my testimony was strengthened and for all my prayers I saw answered.
I'm grateful for 27 Palace Court. That building is stunning, and despite the formality of the sitting room, and sharing a room with 11 other people-this place became home to me, and I'm grateful for the comfort and fun it provided.
I'm still in awe of all the things I saw, and touched at the amazing places I'd spent 20 years hearing about. I'm grateful that I got to see so many important and stunning things and places-those both significant educationally and in pop culture!
I fell in love with the Catford ward-including Devri and Sarah. I'm so grateful that I was able to attend this ward, and feel of the sweet spirit of the members there. I learned that the principles and spirit of this gospel are the same everywhere-even if some of the physical things are a little different than at home. Also, I'm grateful for the 3 hours spent traveling there and home each week (gasp of surprise) Those hours where I got to know those two girls better were always a highlight of my weeks-I love them.
My first days in London were exhausting-walking so much... but in the end it is something I miss so much already. Being able to get anywhere worth going so easily, and having endless possibilities of places to visit within walking distance is something I loved. I miss the fun walks, the beautiful sights, and even, for a moment, the fun public transportation.
We always had so much fun. I already miss the nightly rants/jokes/towel songs/abs "workouts" and the endless laughter... and I'm so grateful for the girls that always made me laugh. Thanks room 4.
I lived with great people, but the biggest effect they had on me was the influence they had on who I've become. They loved me, and believed in me, and spending time with them taught me to believe in myself more, and recognize the beauty in everyone around. I think it's safe to say that we all grew up a little bit, and I'm grateful we had that opportunity together.
Overall, I fell in love with this city. I feel so satisfied with my experience there-with the things I saw and the feelings I felt there. I learned so much, I wish I could articulate them all better, but for now I'll just describe this experience in the best way I know how-right. I new from the moment I first saw this program advertised that it was right, and along each step of the journey that was confirmed to me. Being in London at this time, with these people, at this stage in my life was right for me-and the influence of this amazing experience will be felt for the rest of my life.



I can't end this post without mentioning my gratitude to my family. This experience would have been impossible without your support, love, e-mails and prayers. I feel so blessed to have this opportunity, and I owe all of it to you. Thank you.

1 comment:

Shane said...

We're excited for you and the great experience that you had. I'm very happy you were able to have this great experience in your life. However, I'm also glad to have you home with us.