Saturday, October 11, 2008

Some days...

Some days I just miss being home. I miss coming in from the fall cold to my warm house. The warmth not just literal but figurative, like a hug, after being away for awhile. The lights all on, the heater blasting, and everyone laughing. I miss coming home late at night, where everything is still, except my mom who fell asleep waiting for me on the couch. I miss driving up the long, twisting road, to my favorite secret place of peace where I'm literally talking with an angel. I miss reading books on the couch in the late afternoon and falling asleep as the last bits of sun creeps through the windows. I miss the feeling of confidence, love and self-assurance that come from being there, where I can be myself and always have that be good enough, appreciated, and enjoyed. I miss home.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Believe it or not I sometimes miss being younger and being at home. I know that it is just thinking back to the days when I didn't have all the responsiblity I do know. Life was easier then, but now, well..... now I am the one that needs to make new memories of what my children will hopefully say are that they miss being at home when they are my age. Love you tons!

robyne said...

hey sweetie..."home" misses having you here too! We all miss your laugh, your sweet sense of humor, your deep thoughts, your love, your voice, your make-up on the bathroom counter (oh okay not really missing that) The lack of your beautiful presence is like a dark hole in our home. Thank goodness for cell phones, text msgs, blogs, ect.... And just so you know .... your "angel" watches out for you wherever you are ... she promised.

Shane said...

Hey kid, we all miss having you around also! There is nothing as comforting to a father as having all his "little girls" all together at home. However, it's also amazing to watch his little girls go outside their "comfort zone" and stretch as they try new things. You off to college, your sisters auditioning for Chorale or standing up for someone being picked on.

I also believe that you've got more than one "angel" keeping an eye of you also. I'm pretty confident your grandpa and uncle are up there watching out for you also. In fact, at our next game when a BYU player makes a mistake I bet we can hear his comment. It will be something to the effect of "what the heck did he do that for?"

Hope you know how much I love you and how very, very proud I am of you. You've ALWAYS got a place waiting for you at home and a couch to take a nap on.

Love ya kid!

Mindy said...

Well Nicole this post kind of made me tear up a little! hehe, I totally know how you feel. I think my first (and only) semester away from home I sat at the computers in the library reading emails just crying. It's great to be out on your own but there is just something about being home with the family and feeling that unconditional love. But it of course makes those returns so much sweeter! Good luck! Love ya!

Meet the Falkners said...

You are amazing Nicole! Thanks for sharing with us! We all miss you too! Some times on Wednesdays and Sundays, I still ask why some of you aren't there! I now you are learning a lot and growing spiritually even more!