Monday, September 27, 2010

Bonjur France

Monday found us waking up bright and early... like 4:30 bright and early as I had to participate in this joyous thing called kitchen crew. Kitchen crew takes a lot of extra time and is a source of much complaining among some here. However there are some good things about it. 1- you get a Magnum bar at the end of your week and 2-you get to rock out to James Taylor while waiting for the sanitizer.

However, James Taylor performing a private concert with unlimited Magnum Bars could not have made up for the fact that I was up so early.

After a delicious muffin breakfast and packing a huge lunch we all grabbed our bags, pillows and blankets and goatherd in the sitting room. There one girl told another that she looked as if death was on her door step, and other girls began questioning everyone about what exactly they packed for the trip. The ridiculousness of this made me start to laugh hilariously. And luckily I've found a friend here-Jessica-who thinks I'm as funny as I think I am, and we both started laughing hilariously.

This continued until we were all situated on Tony's coach.

Now in order to fully appreciate my experiences here I must introduce you to Tony. Tony is our coach driver for all of our long trips and each of our day trips ever Wednesday. Basically when we need a coach-we always get Tony. The reason we love Tony so much is that not only is he a coach driver, but a tour guide as well. This man knows everything about everywhere. We drive through the city and he tells us about every building, every event that takes place there, and about 3 famous people that have lived/eaten/shopped/died there. We quite enjoy it.

Luckily for everyone on the coach, once I got situated my laughing stopped and I slept the entire 2 hour coach drive to Dover.

From Dover we went through boarder control, and I got another stamp on my passport as we headed onto the ferry. The ferry was wonderful. It was absolutely beautiful to watch the white cliffs of Dover pass as we left England behind. The cliffs were the best part, but a close second was watching all of us stumble across the ship walking as if we were drunk-well as I imagine we would if we were drunk. I couldn't have walked a straight line for 10 free corner yogurts, and I love corner yogurts.


After the fun ferry ride we loaded back on the coach and started driving through the beautiful French countryside. We were in France!!!

Our first stop in France was at the Vimmy Trenches. This battle was a very important one for the Canadians who fought in WW1, and we were able to walk around in both the Canadian and German trenches and get a feel for the place. I was struck at least a little with just how horrible it would have been for these men to live in these trenches. I can't imagine the dirt, pain, and sorrow that would have taken place living in there. It was humbling to walking where so many brave men lost their lives. Another thing that I was struck with is how broken the ground still is. From the bombing and artillery, the ground rises and drops sporadically. Grass has grown over it, but it remains hilly, almost as if God is reminding us what it once was, and what lies beneath these hills.


Our next stop was at the Armistices. It was where the first Armistice was signed. I have learned so much about the Great War here, and it was cool to go to these war sights and see where it all happened. It really brings it home to me and makes it real.



 After these stops we moved on to our final destination for the day... PARIS

*Time out from the story for a moment while I explain what happened Sunday night. Every Sunday night we have a fireside, however this particular night we didn't have a fireside-just a Paris Prep meeting. Now, they like to prepare us here, and boy did they ever. I'm just going to say that there were quite a few girls who were convinced that there every possession was going to be stolen, that they would be cursed at, have things put into their drinks, and probably get held up at gun point within the 3 days we would be there. So, it was with lots of caution that we arrived in Paris that first evening*

We checked into our hotel. Which was... quaint.... See:



Then after freshening up we split up and headed out for the evening. I went with my friends Jessica, Rachel, Amanda and Kaity to the Eiffel Tower. How else could one even spend their first night there?

As we walked off the metro we stopped at a creperie for French crepe. It was wonderful. As we ate we wandered toward the tower, and as we turned the corner we found it.

There it stood. As it does in every movie, television show and day dream. I was in awe. All of a sudden I realized what I am doing with my life these days-I'm seeing things I've dreamed of seeing, going places I've dreamed of being, experiencing things I never thought possible. I nearly cried I was so happy with my life, and the beauty of the tower.

Just then, as the hour changed, it began to flash and sparkle. I held my breath as the happiness and excitement I'd already felt multiplied so much it made my little heart leap.



Am I a romantic or what? It was stunning though. More so than I expected.

We made our way down to the bottom of the tower, purchased our tickets, and headed onto the lift up to the top, and then the very summit. I loved the view of Paris all lit up at night from the top. It was gorgeous, and wonderful. I'm not sure if it was the intense smell of weed at the top or the lightheadedness that ensued, but I can honestly say that while the view is beautiful, the view from the bottom looking up is where the true beauty is.







At the top we met a very nice American couple from New York. They were so kind and curious. Upon finding out we were from Utah they immediately asked if we were missionaries. It was sweet, and it felt like home listening to them tell us about the Mets, and the States. I was glad we had found some nice American friends.



At the top my friend Jess got really light headed and sick and in an attempt to get her down ASAP  we got split up from the original group. Rachel, Jess and I made it to the bottom and waited for Amanda and Kaity. And waited. And waited. And got asked if we had any weed in broken English by a desperate man. And waited. And waited. Pretty soon the scene down there started to change. Tourists were heading home, and the group that was still gathered around there was not one we felt comfortable in. It was about 11:30, and we had a 12:00 curfew. However, we also had an at least 3 to a group rule and we hated to leave the other two girls out there alone. We had a decision to make. As we stood underneath the very bottom of that tower we prayed together that we would be safe, that the other two would be safe, and that we would make it home alright.

With that we headed back to the Metro. By this time it was 11:45 and we were across town from the hotel. There was no way we would be there before midnight. We immediately saw why our professors said there was nothing we'd want to be involved in after 12:00 there. The metro, always dirty, was disgusting and full of homeless people sleeping at the station. Those on the metro were drunk, or otherwise not all there. It was a little scary.

Then a man gets on and starts yelling at the top of his lungs, in French. We keep calm as we look around to see how the French people react to it. No one seemed too scared, but like I said the caliber of people on this train were not the highest. Our stop could not come soon enough. As we got off the train so did the yelling man, and he was right behind us. Upon noticing this we started booking it up the stairs and out of the station. Once out of the station we started walking down the street. And he wasn't too far behind us.

It only took us about 3 minutes to realize that we were lost. It was 12:30 AM, the only people on this street were in the shadows, nothing was open, and I could hear a man yelling behind us.

I was ready to lose it right there. Jessica's calm kicked in and we crossed the street and turned around. As the view of the E Tap sign came into view we each said a prayer of gratitude. And, I was struck with the knowledge that God is hearing our prayers, and answering them. He heard our parents prayers that day, our professors, and our terrified pleas. And, he watched out for us.

I had never been more ready to sleep that night. But my roommate Sarryn had her own story to tell, theirs much worse than our own. Good thing our Paris Prep meeting had prepared us for being scared, because so far Paris had definitely lived up to that.

I've never gone to bed with more gratitude in my heart and prayers. Gratitude for the opportunities and beauty sure, but more so for the gratitude of prayers being answered, the Holy Ghost, and our safety. Yes, a heart full of gratitude is how my first day in France came to an end. A heart full of gratitude, and the memory of a dream fulfilled. 


No comments: