Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Adventure Is Out There

Today was an exploring day!! After breakfast and a hilarious orientation we we're given an exploration activity.

Note: Said orientation was not suppose to be hilarious. However, Dave, the resident director explained exactly why modesty is important in all areas! Lets just say a slight proposal-ish run in may have happened a few semesters back. Awkward? ha ha ha

So! On to the exploration activity!

Step One-get Oyster card at tube station. This magic card gets me around the city for the next week via bus and tube! They are very legit and I love them, despite the weird name.

Step Two-get on the tube. Take this line, then change to the other, get off, cross a park and BAM see Buckingham Palace. Beautiful!!

My friend Jessica and I at Buckingham Palace

Step Three-backtrack said park, find tube stop again and take it over to the Victoria and Albert Museum. It was HUGE! All the museums are here, and the real nice/big ones are government sponsored aka free! I can't wait to spend many many more days exploring there. But for today we were just checking out a cast of Michelangelo's David. He was huge!

Step Four-Head to Harrods!!!! Which, can I tell you is heaven on earth. We were suppose to explore the food rooms-a room full of Chocolate? Who knew such beauty could be found! There was something I liked better though-the 2,000 pound Jimmy Choos. Ah! A girl can dream right?

Step Five-Train again this time to Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery. This is seriously the center of the greatest city in the world. It is beautiful, and the view from the steps of the national gallery out toward the Thames is epic. Gorgeous. I love it.

Trafalgar Square

From there we were free to explore. We looked at the Phantom of the Opera box office for possibly later this week. We got some delicious lunch. And then we returned to our neighborhood. And this time I rode the bus-the double decker bus!!! And I got the front row on the top. It is the best way to see the city! Oh and I saw some of the most beautiful shops-did you know there is an Anthropology on Oxford Street? No worries-I'll spend my pounds at H&M.

Sarryn and I on the double decker bus

After devotional and dinner I finished off the evening studying in Hyde Park(I figured I would try to put the "study" in study abroad for at least the first day of class tomorrow). It is so beautiful. These pictures are from yesterday but kinda give you a feel of it:


Oh and of course there was a possessed squirrel that tried to attack us whilst studying!

And as if that squirrel wasn't enough I saw the biggest spider of my life tonight in the hall outside our dorm. How is it that a bottle of water is only like as big as my index finger but the spider is gigantic!

A few more things I've learned today:

Crossing at the Zebra (say it with the accent) is the only safe place to cross the road in this city. Apparently, true story, London loses one tourist a day because they forget that you have to look the opposite way when crossing the street. And drivers here are not cautious. Zebras are the only safe crosswalks because if a driver hits a pedestrian there they go to jail. Who knew?

When you order water at the restaurant not only will they charge you 2.5 pounds but it will come in a chilled bottle. Ridiculous.

Queues are very important, not a joking matter.

Oh and when looking for the "Exit" sign here it is actually the "Way Out" sign. Who knew?

I am loving London so much, I can't even describe! This is amazing, and I'm so grateful for this opportunity!

Love from London!

5 comments:

Mrs. Fowden said...

You have already visited so many great places! You have to go to Phantom! My favorite play I sat there was my Fair Lady, though the seats were dreadfully high and uncomfortable. At a restaurant you can order tap water, but you literally have to say tap water - and they may look at you funny.

Lisa said...

What a beautiful place. I love to read about what you are doing there.
Keep enjoying yourself.
Love ya!

Mandy said...

Wow what great adventures you are having. I love the pictures and to hear what you are doing and where you are going. We love you!!!

robyne said...

Sounds like another great day! I am so glad you are enjoying yourself!! You have only been there 2 days and I am already anxious to go there myself, just from your experiences!!
Love Ya Girl!

My Life In Review said...

That is so cool. It is so beautiful there. Im so glad you are having fun :) Love you lots!!
Love, Megs