Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cherrio America, 'Ello England

Monday morning my parents took me to the airport. As I write this it's Tuesday afternoon in the UK, but Monday feels like eons ago.

After a misty eyed goodbye with my parents at SL international I headed off through security to meet my study abroad fate. ha ha ha Not really! Instead I just met up with my friend Rachel who flew to London with me.

Our first leg of the journey was on a tiny, tiny plane. Literally... tiny. Smallest plane of my life. Do you understand, it was tiny! This tiny plane took us to Chicago. During the flight I finished reading Persuassion and cursing Jane Austen for her wordy writing style. (Side note: Dear goddess of Jane Austen, please help me find the love in all Jane's books. Please.) Then I finally got to read my 600 page edition of In Style magazine-it did not dissapoint my friends. After reaching O'Hare I made a beeline for the womans room, just as my aunt Pat suggested. You see these bathrooms are magical, just take a look:





Then after perusing the shops, and eating I waited outside my terminal for my flight to Heathrow to depart.



This plane was much larger. Oh and first class, and business class are so legit it is not even possible to explain in my current dilussional state. Just know that it is basically heaven in the sky. Not that heaven isn't already in the sky. I'm just saying...



However, despite the upper classes being heaven and in my opinion probably worth every extra dollar my seat in coach was not. It was a tiny space, which was fine enough while I watched Letters to Juliet on my little tv screen and ate dinner:

When it came time to sleep my small seat was a big probably. Over the course of the 8 hour red eye I believe I got no more than 1 total hour of sleep. Thats right people, 1 hour.

After touching down at Heathrow it was on to the most adventerous part of all the journey-the trip to the center. It began with a short visit through the little boarder patrol people. They asked lots of questions but I'm glad to say we made it through just dandy! Then we proceeded forth to get our bags. When I went to pick mine up though my stuff went everywhere. I guess my zipper broke, and thats why everything fell out. Luckily a nice man helped me gather it all up and I quickly and shamefully threw it all back in my suitcase. Talk about embarassing.

After that I had my first European ATM experience, and I now have a few pounds to my name. Once loaded with money I made a quick phone call home (it was apx 2:30 AM there) to let them know I had arrived safely in the UK. We then hopped on the Heathrow express to Paddington Station. (which by the way.. gorgeous. Never seen a better looking train station) There we took a taxi on over to 27 Palace court.

Right now in my barely lucid state words can not describe the beauty that is 27 Palace Court. It is stunning here and I still can't believe I get to call it home for the next 3 1/2 months. Pictures will follow in a few days. For now let me just say that in order to get to my room one must hike up 8 flights of stairs. Oh the joy of the 4th floor. :)

Well, thats it for now. I'll write more once I'm coherent.

Love from London!

5 comments:

Shane said...

Sounds like you've had quite an adventure thus far. Now you know why they charge $2,000 more for first class!

I've made it through almost two days now and am doing pretty good. I miss you but am soooo glad you're getting this experience.

PS I loved the toilet video...I must check that out next time I'm in Chicago.

robyne said...

hilarious toilet video...ha,ha. Sounds like you are safe & sound. Life is good here.


abbie had a match today, and Megan is in town for her big concert tonight! Sleep tight and I can't wait to see more posts!!
Love you!!

Lisa said...

Sounds like a lot of fun for day one. Sorry about your suitcase zipper breaking. So at least being on the 4th floor will help with your worries about gaining weight. Just run up and down them a few times each day and all will be good.
I loved the toliet. We need to get those around in Utah.
Have a great time and I am looking forward to reading all about it.
Love you!

karissa said...

NICOLE!!

That is so exciting you are there and it is really happening! Please keep posting more pictures and make sure you have fun for ALL us Americans back here!

Love you girl!

Mrs. Fowden said...

Once again, I AM SO JEALOUS! I'm glad you made it safely and got to visit Paddington. This was my favorite station as well - I lived just down the street form there. There is a great pub near by called Frick & Frack. I had to eat there just so I could say I ate at Frick & Frack. Also a pretty decent Italian restaurant called Bella'a (I think that was what it was called anyway). I love that you have so many stairs! I was also on a floor that took many stairs to get to. I roomed with three other girls and we all complained about the stairs. Eventually we put a sticky on the mirror that said, 'NO COMPLAINING ABOUT THE STAIRS!' Here is my blog about London: http://travellondon2001.blogspot.com/
I have been trying to archive it, but I just have not had them time to sit down and work on it in a while, but I have linked some of the places I loved going. Have so much fun!!!