Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wait, Pause... You Did What?

I have a lot of cousins. And I love them all so much. But for some reason, most likely our closeness in age, I've always been especially close the the Child family.

Growing up that was Uncle Chip (a nickname that has stuck with me my entire life), my Aunt Debbie, Jeni, Lisa, Chris, Matt and Zach.

When I was little the older girls had me in awe. I wanted to grow up to be just like them: beautiful, smart, kind. In my eyes they were everything I wanted to grow up to be.


And the boys. Wow did I think they were all cool. They would talk about high school like I always imagined it, and impressed me with how much better they always were at Nintendo games I wasn't even allowed to play. I wanted to be like them too. I wanted to be old enough to light the birthday candles, and win the video games. I always thought those three boys were the coolest boys in the world.

Today the Child family has expanded and grown. The girls got married and have had kids (with another on the way). The boys all graduated and Chris even got married, to Liz. (my favorite, as she is affectionately known)


And as the years have passed we've all become even closer. The girls, including Liz, teach me to always laugh, through their example to be an excellent mother and through their words to enjoy the stage of life I'm at now.


The boys, with Scott and Clayton, all teach me what it means to be a quiet example and strength, despite not always being quiet. Each of them have a kind spirit about them, and I so much desire to have that quality.


Aunt Debbie and Uncle Chip still teach me to worry less, and to be comfortable with the person I am. I always feel loved and accepted with them. They are both so loving to everyone they come in contact with, and I feel privileged to be on the receiving end of that so much.


And the kids, James, Anna, and Ben teach me to love more easily. I light up every time they remember my name, want my help playing a game, or give me hugs goodbye. They love so willingly, and that is something we all need to remember to do.


Tonight I said goodbye to the Child family. We had way too much to eat, played games, laughed at the kids, reminisced about grandma and grandpa, ate dessert, and hugged goodbye. It was just like any of the many other nights we'd done this same thing. It was perfect.

And when the door shut I only shed a few tears.
So, to the child family-know that I love you and that I will miss you each so much. Thanks for your constant love, and acceptance!

(I will see you at Christmastime. And oh we all know how much fun that will be!!!)

2 comments:

robyne said...

Ha,ha....love the title of this post!! I too am so very grateful for this amazing family, and how close we are with them...they are the BEST! Tonight was fun....like all the other times we are together with them!

Shane said...

It was a fun night and it is great to have them over. All of your little cousins will look up to you just like you did to their parents. I saw a few of those tears, and there will be more. However, once you get to London they will be replaced with your infectious smile. Love ya kid.