Monday, June 27, 2011

Roaming.

Last night I was in Rome again.





Well at least in my dream.


We only had a short amount of time and I'd convinced Mom that we needed to see the Coliseum. So, off we went. We had big backpacks full of our stuff, the hostel I'd been to before was closed until December. And we hadn't checked into a hotel yet. So, with our backs heavy we took off walking.


Did I ever tell you that in Italy we took the metro... once. The morning we wanted to be at the Vatican early. Every other outing was walked to. Really, honestly, it's the very best way to see Europe. Walking the cities.


So it was in my dream as well. I felt the cobblestone beneath my worn out Sperry soles with each step I took. It didn't take long for us to get a little off schedule.


Mom ran into someone she knew. Then we got going and we had to stop at a church to use the restroom. All of a sudden we realized the church we stopped out was one of our churches. (as you know I belong to the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints.) We took time to check out that building, so different then the domes that dot the skyline of the eternal city. We even met a few of the local young women, who tried in their broken English to help us along.


By the time we got going again we were rushing. We were panicked because not only were we running out of day light, but for some reason we were not getting any closer to the Colosseum. I thought I knew where it was. But maybe, just mayeb, I'd... forgotten.


Did I ever tell you that I never could figure out that map of Rome? I'd have been hopeless without the others.


And now here I was with Mom, and I realized that I couldn't find my way around this city that I'd come to love so much. I couldn't even show her the things I loved there.


And then, I woke up.


Very confused, sad and kind of just... scared.


What scared me the most was that sometimes the dreams feel more real then the reality. I really did go to Rome. I roamed the cobble stone streets, I ate the pasta, I stood in awe at the Colosseum. But sometimes that feels more like the dreams. A distant, hazy dream.

No comments: