Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Desires....

So, I was studying here at BYU the other day when I cam across something completely awesome that I just wanted to share with you all. But, this was not your average studying I was doing, I was in fact intently studying my scriptures, which I might add, is like the cool thing to do here. Anyways, I was reading the other day, and I was really struggling a lot with life. I've been worried about a few things in my life that haven't really turned out the way I hoped they would lately. I was particularly distracted, confused, and hurt when I came across 1 Nephi 11:2.. For those of you who don't normally blog with your scriptures right next to you I will quote it for you. It says "Behold, what desirest thou?" My first thought when I read this was, "A lot..." but then I thought about what it really means to desire something. I began to evaluate what I really desire in my life, and what I just want. I've found that there is a huge difference between these two things. As I continued reading I realised that the angel gives Nephi what he desires, and I began to hope that I can receive what I desire to... I looked up every scripture I could find speaking of righteous desires, and I learned a lot. Mostly though I learned that the Lord gives the righteous their desires, according to their faith, and obedience. On the 7th I had the opportunity to attend a fireside at the Marriot Center given by Elder Holland. That night he gave us an apostolic blessing, which was an awesome experience at the time but that didn't really hit me until I started my search for desires. In that blessing he said, speaking specifically to the sisters, "And bless you and ask that every righteous desire of your heart tonight and forever will be answered upon your head" As I recalled this quote, and read this scripture I felt so much peace. I've been so worried about the things I desire in my life lately, but this experience helped me realise that Heavenly Father knows my desires, and he will give them to me. So, I've decided to be patient, and obedient, and do all I can in my power to achieve my desires, and I know that if I do this, the Lord will grant me my desires. He loves me that much!

2 comments:

Shane said...

Wow Nicole...you still continue to amaze me and I've known you your entire life! You've discovered a great principle and have implemented it in your life. I'm very proud of you, which I hope you know. I love you tons also. Dad!

Meet the Falkners said...

Thanks for sharing Nicole! I know we all need to be reminded of principles just like this constantly! Hope all continues to go well!