Monday, April 9, 2012

I Got it From My Mama

Last week I had a day or so where I was a stress case.
It would come and go and come and go. I was exhausted, worried, nervous, busy, happy, scared, excited, tired, anxious and basically every other emotion.

Overwhelmed much?

However, on Friday my mother came and met me halfway to drop off some little bridal-shower-hostess goodies (flour, sugar, cookie cutters, cookie sheets, vanilla, etc.) and some Maderma and Neosporin for the worst curling iron burn I've had yet. As she got out of the car and hugged me I started to cry. Not because I was overwhelmed/sad/exhausted but because I just kept thinking "I have such a great mom."

Here she was dropping everything so she could help her daughter. And then she tops it off with a little gas money and a large Diet Coke. She would say it's a small act of kindness, but to me it meant the world.

That night I sat at dinner with an old friend. We talked about why I was stressed the past few days. I told her that I was worried that I wouldn't be "enough" in all my various roles. That what I gave wouldn't be "good enough".

She looked at me and said "You'll be perfect in all of it. Think of your mom. She is so great, and you are just like her."

It was the kindest, most reassuring thing that had been said to me of late.

(and that's saying something because I'm surrounded by people who are way too kind to me)

Because lets face it. My mom, she is pretty great. So if my friend thinks I'm like her, I must be doing somethings right.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Your mom is awesome! and I definitely think you are like her too! you are both amazing women :)

robyne said...

awww Colie,

This is such a sweet post and you will never know how much it means to me. So do tell which friend said such a nice thing, I may have to buy her a gift!!!!
I love you tons! I am so excited for all the great things happening to you, and I know you can handle it because you, my dear, are amazing!!