Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Falling Short

As soon as we would turn the corner, past the golf course and the park, we new we we were finally there. Once at our destination, after the hugs, kisses, quick walk around to see what changed, rubbing our feet over the rug by the fireplace and a little bouncing around on the water bed for good measure we would race to the best room in the house-the laundry room. The warmth, and smell of Tide would beckon and envelope us in as we stood against the wall. We'd squint our eyes as we tried with all our might to reach as tall as we could, then jump around to inspect. Often our eyes would grow large and our mouths drop as we examined just how much taller we'd grown over the years. And Pops would smile reassuringly, as if he knew all along.
Today, I didn't measure up. I didn't have to stand against a wall to check, or look at my Pops for reassurance, I just knew. In almost every aspect of my life today, I feel short of where I want, and where I need to be. (Ironically the one area I didn't fall short in today was physically-I was measured today and it turns out I am 5' 4 3/4"-who would have guessed.)
I'm not going to cry about it though 1-because I need to sleep, 2-I don't want red eye's tomorrow, and 3-It's different then when I was younger.
You see, back then, we would only get measured and marked one time each visit. Pops taught us that we wouldn't grow enough to notice in one day, but that it took time. Now that I'm older I understand that just because I am 5' 4 3/4" today doesn't mean tomorrow I will be 5' 5 3/4" tomorrow. A day can make all the difference now though. So tomorrow when I wake up I start fresh again, and although I'll never be all that I want to, with a little patience, hope, and humor I'll be better.
And with a my new girl madden's I'll be a little taller. (just in case I need extra help)

2 comments:

robyne said...

to me it seems that you grow taller (better) each day. I love you and am so proud of you!

Shane said...

You continue to amaze me kid...each day brings about a new opportunity to grow. I know very well lately how tough it is to think you're growing, but trust me you are. I love ya!