Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cheerful Giving



When people ask me what I want to do with my degree in Public Health I mutter off something about getting a masters and teaching, working for an NGO or hospital administration. I tell them I don't really know what I want to do with it.

I say that because I'm afraid to tell them the truth. I'm afraid of the response.

I mean, how am I suppose to explain that my real dream, and purpose in doing this is to change the lives of others without sounding naive?

I want to open clinics, provide treatment and diagnosis opportunities, and more importantly provide knowledge about all aspects of health. From sanitation information, to self confidence workshops, and disease prevention, I want to provide these things to those who have no opportunity to it.

I want to serve.

More than anything.

And today after finishing the book "In a Heartbeat" by Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy(yes Tuohy as in on of my favorite movies-The Blind Side), I believe that I really can make a difference. We all can-by serving others to the best of our ability. I'm realizing that it doesn't have to be something extraordinary. I may never end up going on service missions to Africa, or saving thousands of lives, but if I take the knowledge and blessings I have and magnify them through sharing with others, I know even imperfect, flawed me can change a life.

And in the end that is what it's all about.

And all I really want to do with Public Health.

No comments: