Thursday, July 8, 2010

God Bless the Rain Down in... AFRICA

I am so excited to go to London.

And France, and Italy... and wherever else I get the opportunity to journey this fall. Seriously, this was on my bucket list, and the fact that I will be living in another country leaves me ecstatic.


But I'm a dreamer, so I also keep thinking about all the other epic places I want to experience...


And someday, after experiencing Europe in all of it's glorious beauty, I want to go to Africa.


Africa.


Yes, that Africa.


I always knew Africa was a world away, but it wasn't until I became a public health major that I realized just how different Africa is from the life I know. And personally, as someone who is very blessed in the ways of material things and a higher education (not bill gates blessed but way too blessed to not give back) I feel it my duty to serve my fellow man, and know it would be my privilege to learn from such beautiful people.


These two beauties are there now:



And I stalk their blogs religiously.


They got to volunteer at an HIV clinic, they've taught young girls about self-esteem, they've watched a cataract surgery, and prepped children for vaccines.


Those are my loves...disease, and prevention, and health... and I secretly dream of using my ever increasing knowledge in those fields to change the world someday.


So I can't help but be a little envious of those girls as I sit here in my air conditioned home, eating a full dinner with my healthy, comfortable family.


But for now, blog stalking and prayers for some of my favorite girls is as close as I'll get. And my excitement for them will continue to far out way the envy.
But someday I'm going there.
Just wait and see!

No comments: