Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What Women Want.

Today I was talking with my roommate about guys, and about what our various "types" are. As I listened to my roommate I realized that what we want and what "society" tells us we want are actually different. Society tells men we want the macho, tough guys who exist solely provide and protect us. In actuality though, the men we spend our time with, the men we enjoy spending time with, and the kind of man we each want to end up with are not what society tells men we want. We want a calm one. A patient one. One who gets nervous at the thought of spending time with us. One who says what he needs to, and thinks of others. One who is simply brave enough to be himself.

As we talked about how our version differed from society's version I had this revelatory thought.

Maybe, just maybe, guys don't really want what society has told me they do. Maybe what they really  want a girl who's laugh is not only genetic and contagious but can be heard down the hall. A girl who is slightly awkward, and who is as scared as they are when having the serious conversations. A girl brave enough to put a chauvinist in his place. And maybe they really want a girl who isn't afraid to be herself.

Here's hoping.