Friday, November 19, 2010

Cambridge Beats Out Oxford for London's Favorite School

Thats right... I liked Cambridge better.
Why?

Well part of it may have to do with the fact that I was dressed warmer, or that we just took our time leisurely exploring instead of rushing to see all the colleges. Or part of it my be punting. Or eve'n song at King's College.

I'm not really sure why it was better than Oxford, I just know that it was.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. We started our day at an American cemetery. This is a cemetery to honor the American troops that lost their lives over here during World War 2. It was so neat to be at a cemetery for our country. No offense to England, I love England. But America is my home, and seeing that American flag waving over the cemetery made me feel right at home.

After exploring this beautiful place we went to Cambridge. We were given some money and a map and told to meet at 5:00 for Eve'n Song at Kings College. The day was ours. Now, sometimes this turns out great, other times not so much. Luckily Wednesday it turned out excellent.
We were able to take our time meandering the different colleges and taking in all the beautiful sights.
We enjoyed checking out the different colleges and the little town. The highlight of the afternoon was when we went punting though.
You know, when you get in a boat and some man with a stick moves it through the river... like in Venice?
Anyways, when you go punting here you go down what they call the "Backs" because the back of a bunch of colleges face it. And your punter tells you all about the different colleges, the beautiful buildings, and rumors about Harry Potter or Camilla Parker Bowels.
It was so much fun just sitting there and listening and taking in all the beautiful scenery.
But, as four rolled around and it started getting dark it became quite freezing.

Us on the boat, before it was cold and dark!

After we finished punting we met up with everyone in the group at Kings College, where we went to Eve'n Song, put on by the Boys Choir of Kings College. The chapel there was beautiful, complete with huge windows on each side and fan vaulted ceilings. However, because it is dark outside it was dark inside, except for candle light. It was beautiful.

And how beautiful it looked was nothing compared to how beautiful it sounded. The boys probably ranged in age from 6 to 16 and they sounded liked angels. It was stunning.

It was a beautiful way to end our last day trip.

After walking back to the coach, Tony was the first to break the news to us about the Royal Engagement! It's amazing how news like this turns things around here! The papers are full of talk of how this will improve the economy, making the wedding day a bank holiday, and pictures of the ring that was once Diana's. I've never seen such a large group excited about a wedding. It's exciting to be here for all that!

The day was beautiful. We were all happy, enjoying the fun. And, as we drove home after a stop at a welcome break (St. Tate and I got a 2 for 1 deal on Diet Cokes), I thought about how much fun these day trips have been. I reflected on all of the cool things I'd seen, and all of the funny, and sometimes not so funny things that had happened on them.

Mostly I thought about how if I never ride a coach again I'll be a happy woman! :)

No comments: