Sunday, February 6, 2011

Combating English Envy

At this very moment I'm experiencing an intense case of England envy. I envy every man, woman and child that is there now. I envy those living at 27 Palace Court. I envy whoever is sleeping in my bunk, and whoever spent this Sunday in the Catford Ward Primary. I envy each person who can hear Ben's bells toll and each who gets to take in the beauty of the Lake district. That's a lot of envy.
(York, England)
Yes, I know... you aren't suppose to be envious of others. I tried to be happy for them though, I really did. It didn't really work so much as it made me more envious. What can I say? I'm kind of a flawed individual.

But seeing how I wont be returning to England, or Europe, for a very long time I need to find some ways to fight off this envy.

A few things helped me out with that today:

1-Lisa Mitchell. Ok, she was born in England and apparently is there lots of the time. So obviously I'm still envious. But if I can't be in England at least I can take in her beautiful English voice while smiling and humming along to Coin Laundry.

2-The Super Bowl. Now, the super bowl has never really been a HUGE deal at our house. Don't get me wrong, we definitely have watched it every year I can remember. However since it falls on Fast Sunday we're off to Aunt Debbie's to take in the game with the family. Now would be a good time to remind you all how much I love football. Every Sunday this past autumn my ipod alarm would go off and wake me up. As I laid there trying to get up and get going for my day I'd quickly pull up the Utah football score of the night before on my ipod. If I couldn't watch the boys play I'd at least follow how they were doing. So, football today is reminding me how great America is and what England lacks. Soccer... seriously not as cool.

(We were cheering for the Packers... but in an effort to reach out to all I made two Steelers cookies as well)

3-Strobel cookies. Yes, they really do cure everything. Especially when combined with m&ms.

4-Awesome friends. (Even if they gang together to text awkward questions to me at really inopertune times) I'm grateful for all my friends here in Utah and I don't know what I'd do without them all in my life.

Last but not least:
5-This quote, and the patience it's helping me learn in my life:

"Since faith in the timing of the Lord may be tried, let us learn to say not only "Thy will be done," but patiently also, "Thy timing be done."

I have no idea what my life holds in store for me. As I watch my friends make big decisions about missions, boys, schooling, internships and everything else that I feel to young to decide I remember that my life will be great. I just need to enjoy the journey of it and practice patience in all things. And remember that as long as I'm doing my part it's all in his hands.

So, if by chance you're feeling a little England envy, or any other kind of disappointment, I hope these cures work for you as well. Oh and if you need some strobel cookies to make it better just let me know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel exactly the same way. I was ready to come home, but now I'm ready to go back. I want to punch whoever is sleeping in my bed I'm so jealous.