Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I Once Vowed to Use this Phrase

A couple months ago I told you all about a very very cold day. A very cold day made worse by the fact that we didn't have hot water or a heater to warm up with at the end of the day.
Ok, I may have taken some artistic liberties on that post and exaggerated just a bit. I'll admit it was a little overly dramatic. The titanic reference was probably a bit too much... But it was the coldest I could remember being. And we really did have no heat in the London center.
Well, as I headed out the door at 7:45 this morning I had one thought run through my head:

"Wow. I don't remember the last time I was this cold."
And then it hit me....
"This is Stonehenge cold."

Consequently England has been on my mind the rest of the day. As I've rushed from class to class bundled up in my coat and gloves praying that the wind will die down just a bit I thought about that day at Stonehenge.


I thought a lot about that day two months ago with the beautiful sunshine, but no warmth. I thought about trying to take jumping pictures, about conversations with Penny and Jess about whys some are warmer than others, about how much faster the last half of our loop around the stones was as the sun sunk down in the sky.
Then I was almost run over by the BYU track team. (me and my record of nearly running into and nearly being run over by the track team.. its slightly embarrassing.)

After crossing the street and being a safe distance away from the runners I couldn't help but smile, and laugh quietly.

(even if it did make my teeth cold)

I smiled because of that day at Stonehenge, because of how hilarious the whole no hot water fiasco was, because of nearly getting run over by the track team, and because that despite frigid temperatures I was very happy.
Happy for many reasons, one of which being that I finally got to use the phrase "Stonehenge cold".

Then I came home, made hot chocolate and looked through some London pictures.

Oh-and told all of you that today really was "Stonehenge cold"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I miss England, and I miss living with you, and I miss everything you just put in this post (except the track team bit...can't say I've ever been almost ran over by them before)