Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving Recap

As a college student Thanksgiving break is something I've come to be extra thankful for. It's become a necessity in my life. It's the calm before the storm, a brief moment to catch your breath before taking the plunge, a spot on a lifeboat before the Titanic sinks.

Obviously the storm/plunge/titanic is finals.

However, this year I'm not stressed about finals. I think it's because although I have a lot to do, I know it will get done. It always does. I have never not done everything I needed to. So this year my feelings are less of stress, and more of peace. Due to this new look on life Thanksgiving was less "sleep now while you can because you wont again for 3 weeks" and more "lets watch every Thanksgiving episode of Friends, turn the house into a Christmas wonderland and eat.... a lot".

In other words it was less survival mode and more enjoy it mode.

And here is what I enjoyed:

*Pedicures with my mom and sisters.
*Making my first batch of chocolate peppermint bark cookies of the season

 "Please do no danger" is now my favorite saying.... 

*Watching a lot of movies (Lincoln, Christmas Vacation, Rudy, Pitch Perfect)
*Hanging out with my favorite cousins and their adorable children


*Watching every Thanksgiving episode of Friends
* Shopping and to see the lights at City Creek
*Spending all of my time with these two lovelies. Gosh they are the greatest.


*Decorating the house for Christmas
*Playing with the dog
*Watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade
*Hanging out with Stacie
*Sneaking treats to church
*Procrastinating my homework &
*Hanging out with my very favorite people

It was a lovely Thanksgiving.

It should be noted that for the first time in 2 years I had a normal thanksgiving. Thanksgiving 2010 was spent exploring Ireland, and my dinner was a Hard Rock Cafe burger. Thanksgiving 2011 was spent at the happiest place on earth, and although we had the "Thanksgiving Dinner" that was on the menu, sitting on Main Street USA sure is different then home. Now don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the opportunities I've had to travel, explore, and fall in love with these places, but there is something about being home, gathered around a big table with all the people you are most thankful for on Thanksgiving. It was so nice to have that this year. I can say with all honesty, there is nowhere else I would have rather been.

No comments: