Thursday, November 19, 2009

Good People Around the World


One of the things that gives me the greatest hope in my life is knowing that there are good, kind, helpful, caring people in the world everywhere. As I read the NY Times and see the headlines about Iran and North Korea's weapons of mass destruction, the bloody wars that plague Africa, the disagreements that cost thousands of lives in the middle east, the terrorists that are willing to give up their own lives in order to hurt others, global warming, H1N1, national health care, and so many issues it's very easy for me to get discouraged and worry about the future of our world, and this country which I have so much passion for. Then, something will happen that reminds me that there are good people out there, and that good will win out. Whether Catholic, Muslim, Mormon or Atheist; whether African American, Caucasian, Pacific Islander, Asian or Arab; whether a young child or a an elderly man and any in between; whether from Turkey, Norway, Iran, Somalia, or Mexico; whether a female or male-good people can be found in this world.

Today this hit me as I watched the documentary called "Pray the Devil Back to Hell". It is about war torn Liberia and how peace was eventually reached by a group of women who had were tired of violence, rape, and starvation characterizing their families lives. Their peaceful protests, movements and statements not only brought about peace but allowed for the first female president to be elected in Africa. I was touched with the fact that good people coming together can conqure complete evil.

One thing I know, is that no matter how bleak the world looks, there is always that gentleman that holds the door, the Wal-Mart greeter who makes you feel more than welcome, the child that waves to you as you walk to school, the airline steward who makes extra sure that you're ok, and the lady who smiles at you on a busy street. And that one day, when evil surrounds us at every corner it is going to be these good, kind people that make me realize that happiness and peace can still be found somewhere. So, I'm grateful for good people. And I'm inspired to be better.

1 comment:

Shane said...

Couldn't agree with you more. It is so easy to get caught up in everything that is wrong in the world and forget to appreciate everything that is good. Thanks for making my day...sure do love ya.