Thursday, November 19, 2009

Roommates, and My Apartment

This is something that is a little bit more difficult to be fully grateful for a times. It is very rare that my roommates and I see exactly eye-to-eye on every issue at the same time. Sometimes there are disagreements, sometimes there are problems, but always there is love.

Last night I arrived home to a distraught roommate. She had forgotten to turn the fridge back on the day before when she had cleaned it and she was upset. It totally could have happened to any of us, so I was not upset about that at all. I'm very far from perfect, and I'm very forgetful so it easily could have been me. The only problem was that as we glanced over at our fridge we saw a huge red puddle underneath it. We opened it to see that Popsicles in the freezer had melted all the way down into and all over the door of the fridge and all over the floor. My roommates and I looked at it, and then they walked away. The one who left the fridge off just went to bed, didn't even try to clean up the mess. So, I grabbed some cleaning supplies and got to work. When one of my other roommates realized what I was doing she grabbed a sponge and started to help. I was kind of angry, that the others would all just see the mess and assume someone else would take care of it but I was so grateful for the help I did receive.

Living with roommates is very hard at times, but very, very rewarding. I feel so blessed to live with these girls and the experiences we share and the things I learn because of it. I feel that it's the natural order of life to move out once you are done with high school, at least for the school year, because you learn things by living with other people that you wouldn't learn from just living with your family. I mean I've lived with them for 19 years, and while the dynamics change as we grow older and such, living with roommates is a completely different experience which I think has helped me mature and grow in amazing ways. Someday, I'll be able to live with a husband without going through the shock of not knowing how to live with someone else. There is a lot of compromise, thought and patience that goes into living with other people, and I'm so glad I'm learning these things.

So, even though it's rough sometimes, I dunno what I would do without these girls. I love them each so much! They make me smile when it's been a hard day, plan fun SPARK nights, are there when I need a hug, and so much more. I am very blessed to live with these girls that I do, I couldn't ask for better roommates. So yesterday, I was grateful for them.

Love you girls!

No comments: