Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Country and our Troops

On this veterns day I find myself especially grateful for my country and those who sacrifice everything for the freedoms that I enjoy. All my life I've had a deep gratitude for this country and the principles it was fouded upon. I love America, and feel so grateful to be a citizen here. All of these freedoms I enjoy, value and love would not be mine without troops to fight for them and protect them however. In my religion class my professor told a story about a vetern he met a few years back. They were having a memorial for lots of troops in the area who fought in Vietnam. A certain vetern came to the memorial dressed in his uniform and informed my professor that it had been the best day of his life. Professor Freeman asked why and the vetern informed him that at the gas station and at the resturant he went to for breakfast people saw him in his uniform, asked him about, and thanked him for his service. He had waited 30 years to be thanked for his service, it was the very first time he had been thanked. I nearly cried upon hearing this story. So, let me do my part by saying to all veterns, no matter the conflict, no matter who was president, whether I agree on the issues, or who we were fighting, thank you for your service. Beacuase of you I enjoy the freedoms that I do, and I will never be able to express my gratitude enough.

No comments: